Our Lady of Victories School originated in the late 1800’s when the Parish Priest of
Our Lady of Victories Church set up a “Poor School” in a hall in the grounds of
the Assumption Convent in Kensington Square. The need for the provision of Catholic education for local children had been exacerbated by the arrival in the area of
many Catholic French Émigrés with their families. The hall served as a school for
many years but by the 1950’s it was too small to provide places for all the Catholic
children living in the area.
The current school building in Clareville Street had been built as a Victorian Board
School in 1884 for local poor children. It was renamed Bousfield School in 1913
and in 1956 the children at the school were moved to a new site on Brompton Road.
The building they left behind was in a poor state of repair but the Catholic authorities asked to make use of it for the children of Kensington Square.
Even at this early point in its history, Our Lady of Victories School had built a reputation for success which was recognised by both the Catholic authorities and Government inspectors. This record of high achievement is one which we have continued to maintain and to further develop under the leadership of successive Head Teachers. The old dilapidated building which we moved into in 1956 has undergone a sea-change both in its appearance, which is now bright and well maintained, and also in the facilities housed within the building.
With the help of the local authority (RBKC) and Westminster Diocese we have upgraded the premises and every available space is now used by staff and children for whole class or small group learning. The most notable development is the installation of a kitchen which enables
us to provide freshly cooked, healthy lunches daily.